Enabling all available ttys if available console

Glen Barber gjb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 19 17:12:18 UTC 2015

Hi,

For several months now, I have been contemplating enabling all active
ttys on the system by 1) changing the defaults from std.9600 to 3wire,
and 2) setting ttyu{0,1,2,3} from 'off' to 'onifconsole'.

The only drawback to doing this that I can think of is it could open
a potential attack vector, however this would require physical access to
the system.

The benefit to doing this is the system would be accessible via ttys
other than ttyu0 by default, which unless there is someone with local
access to the system, is painful for administrators to gain console
access remotely by default.

Are there objections to changing the default, or have I missed something
larger in this proposed change?

Thanks in advance.

Glen