make -n -n

John D. Hendrickson johnandsara2 at cox.net
Sat Oct 17 16:27:23 UTC 2015

Bryan Drewery wrote:
> On 10/14/15 10:05 PM, Bryan Drewery wrote:
>> Does anyone consider 'make -n -n' a thing for top-level builds?

>> So having said all of that, the ${_+_} never expands anymore since
>> r251748 (June 2013). The act of it working in top-level has only been
>> fixed since r288391 (September 2015).
>
> r251750 (June 2013) also makes it so buildworld -n causes a real rm -rf
> to be executed, so I'm guessing no one even uses this since it has not
> been fixed yet.
>
>> Given it was broken for this long period I assume no one uses '-n -n' or
>> even knew about it.
>>
>> I would like to remove it (-n -n and _+_) and just use the (bmake)
>> documented -n and -N flags and use '+' everywhere appropriate. Note that
>> we use .MAKE in some targets that achieves largely the same thing, but
>> many sub-make calls don't have a .MAKE and lack a proper '+' to recurse
>> in Makefile.inc1.

      -n      Display the commands that would have been executed, but do not
              actually execute them.

i dont see the point of the question "is for top of world" because -n
necessarily does "nothing"

however pmake(1) is one of these "wares" that continually becomes
incompatible with itself forward and backward ...

you should say what version of pmake (or freebsd) you are using if you
wish proper usage advice.  on the other hand one nice thing about
freebsd is proper usage for a given "release" is supposedly already
provided - which works only for that given release (maybe)