ASLR work into -HEAD ?

Shawn Webb shawn.webb at hardenedbsd.org
Thu May 28 01:19:18 UTC 2015

On Wednesday, 27 May 2015 20:31:12 Ed Maste wrote:
> On 27 May 2015 at 20:00, Shawn Webb <shawn.webb at hardenedbsd.org> wrote:
> > At the FreeBSD Developer Summit at EuroBSDCon 2014, Ed Maste said on
> > behalf of the FreeBSD Foundation that he (and by extension, the
> > Foundation) would block the ASLR patch from being merged into HEAD if we
> > didn't provide a mechanism for disabling ASLR as a non-root user on a
> > per-binary basis.
>
> I said no such thing.
>
> I did have reservations about various aspects of the ASLR work and
> also passed on concerns of others. I certainly did not say that I (or
> the Foundation) would block the work unless certain conditions were
> met. The Foundation doesn't have authority to block a change, anyway.
>
> I did say that we'd need the ability to disable ASLR on a per-process
> basis, with my specific interest being use by the debugger.

After talking with Ed in private, I realized that I must have misunderstood
the situation. He was mainly curious about how to satisfy existing
functionality in gdb and lldb. He didn't mean to convey that he would block
the merge of the patch. I must have misunderstood. I still dislike the
feature, but it'll remain in the patch upstream.

I fear that I may be growing tired of non-technical discussions involving
politics. As I said to Adrian Chadd in IRC, over the last nearly two years,
I've kissed so many shoes to get this in, I've now grown weary and cynical.

Unless someone has actual technical input regarding the patch itself, I'm
going to refrain from commenting further. If you have technical input
regarding the patch, please comment on the diff at Phabricator.

Thanks,

--
Shawn Webb
HardenedBSD

GPG Key ID:                0x6A84658F52456EEE
GPG Key Fingerprint: 2ABA B6BD EF6A F486 BE89  3D9E 6A84 658F 5245 6EEE