[RFC] Set the default locale to en_US.UTF-8

Slawa Olhovchenkov slw at zxy.spb.ru
Sun Jan 25 15:50:03 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 06:58:13AM -0800, Jordan Hubbard wrote:

> > On Jan 25, 2015, at 6:32 AM, Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw at zxy.spb.ru> wrote:
> >
> > NO! Please, NOT!
> > Not all bytestring allowed in UTF-8, as result -- unpedicable failed
> > execution of sed, grep, vi, ed and etc.
>
> Huh.  Someone should warn Apple then, since $LANG has been set to en_US.UTF-8 by default in OS X for years now.  I just checked, and sed/grep/vi/ed/etc all still work. :)
>
> It's a good idea to change it.  We have outgrown ISO-Latin1, and UTF-8 solves a host of ugly I18N interoperability problems when used consistently.

I am years use ru_RU.KOI8-R. Now I try use ru_RU.UTF8 and got some
issuse (on 10-STABLE). 9.x and OS may have dufferent version of
software and don't touch this.

vi ~/tips.work
/home/slw/tips.work: unmodified: line 1; Conversion error on line 3

This is koi8 file in utf8 locale.

Other case -- file names in koi8 locale -- this is invalid in utf-8.
Change locale from C to utf8 may cause trouble.
This is (change from one-byte tu multi-bytes locale) may be do
individualy, after inspecting systems. This is may be OK for new
install, but not [automatic] for update/upgrade.