[RFC] kern/kern_timeout.c rewrite in progress

Hans Petter Selasky hps at selasky.org
Thu Jan 22 10:15:53 UTC 2015

On 01/20/15 11:47, Slawa Olhovchenkov wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 08:29:47AM +0100, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

>>> Hi Jason,
>>>
>>> I'm glad to hear that my patch has resolved your issue and I'm happy we
>>> now have a more stable system.
>>>
>>> It was actually a co-worker at work which wrote some bad code which I
>>> started debugging which then lead me to look at the callout subsystem.
>>> One bug kills the other ;-)
>>>
>>> I'm planning a MFC to 10-stable - yes, and will possibly add the
>>> _callout_stop_safe() function to not break binary compatibility with
>>> existing drivers as part of the MFC.
>>>
>>> --HPS
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Here is a followup patch for the TCP stack like I mentioned in the
>> beginning of the work done on the callout subsystem:
>>
>> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D1563
>>
>> If someone has a setup for massive TCP testing please give it a spin.
>
> I have on 10.1 (with applied r261906).

FYI:

r277213 is going to be pulled out from -current in at maximum a few
hours from now, because developers need more time to review patches in
surrounding areas like the TCP stack area to restore distribution of
callouts on multiple CPUs when using MPSAFE callouts to avoid congestion
in the TCP stack.

--HPS