getting NUMA into the tree (userland most interesting for me)

Alan Cox alc at rice.edu
Fri Feb 20 22:37:21 UTC 2015

On Feb 20, 2015, at 2:14 PM, John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> wrote:

>>> Is there anything wrong with maybe bringing over the basic low level
>>> allocator changes from projects/numa so the basics are there?
>>
>> I think they're probably predicated on the work that is being
>> shepherded in now. Even if not, it would require someone to shepherd
>> it in and the corresponding spare cycles from alc to review / revise /
>> repeat - which seem to be in short supply.
>
> Can you add entries for these to the wiki page with links to the phab reviews?
> I know there is an entry for the page cache queue removal already, but you
> could add one for contigmalloc right next to it.

Essentially, the “Remove the ‘cache’ page queue” task has a number of significant subtasks that aren’t listed, and the contigmalloc() rewrite is the biggest of them.  Specifically, the current contigmalloc(M_WAITOK) implementation exploits the existence of the ‘cache’ page queue, and to eliminate that dependence requires the M_WAITOK case to work very differently.