libthr shared locks

Daniel Eischen deischen at freebsd.org
Tue Dec 29 19:18:35 UTC 2015

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015, Konstantin Belousov wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 11:59:02AM -0500, Daniel Eischen wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Dec 2015, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, Dec 27, 2015 at 11:44:44AM -0500, Daniel Eischen wrote:
>>> Adding the self-pointer is good idea, but it would not work for the
>>> shared locks.  If you are going to work on this, then I will scratch
>>> my patch, to not impede on your work.
>>
>> Shared locks would work, but only for the new ABI (I guess that
>> would be FBSD1.4 in HEAD, or FBSD1.5 if we bumped it again just
>> for this).
> I only mean that self-pointer sometimes would cause additional issues.
>

>> Another option is to just increase the size for the pthread synch
>> types without really changing the first element (still a pointer
>> to the allocated object - the implementation would stay the same).
>> The only breakage would then be storage layout issues for new
>> compiles linking against older ones.  For FreeBSD-12, we could
>> change the implementation to a real inlining (without changing
>> the storage size), that gives a major release cycle for 3rd
>> parties to make the change.  I'm not sure if this would really
>> be much of a benefit - the storage size change alone would
>> probably be the greatest pain.
> It is a good intermediate point in the whole plan of changing the ABI.
> The work required to support pshared after the size is increased is not
> completely trivial, but is not a rocket science either. But your note
> about intermediate step might give additional freedom in executing the
> whole plan.
>

>>> Taking out the inlining bits from the David patch, or (which would I do,
>>> if doing this) just reimplementing it from scratch is easy enough and
>>> just require some time.  I estimated this job to take between one and
>>> two weeks.
>>
>> I think a lot of David's patch is the renaming of all the
>> elements of the public structs to prepend '__'.  I was thinking
>> it would be nice to have the public structs be something like
>> this:
>>
>>    struct pthread_mutex_t {
>>        uint32_t __x[IMPL_REQ + IMPL_SPARE + pad_to_CACHE_LINE_SIZE];
>>    };
>>
>> and then have libthr override the definition.  That would
>> make declaring PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER, etc, a little
>> magical, but avoid a lot of needless churn in libthr.
> This is very good suggestion, I fully agree.  There are some more details,
> e.g. it would be better to use uint64_t or explicit align attribute, to
> get proper alignment, but overall idea is sound, of course.
>

>> But, I agree, just doing the inlining is basic grunt work
>> and limited in duration.  Your estimate seems reasonable.
>>
>>> What is really thrilling is to manage the consequences of the ABI
>>> breakage. When I did the evaluation for the FF project, I put a six
>>> months extent for the whole work. This is for things like looking at
>>> the ports impact, trying to know in advance where mixed things start to
> [...]

Perhaps another option is doing all of what we said above
and also use your suggestion of libthr2, but have both libthr
and libthr2, where libthr2 is labeled experimental or something
similar.  Have a WITH_LIBTHR2 build flag that conditionally
inlines the pthread locks and enables (links w/-pthread) libthr2
for FreeBSD base OS.  A note/comment for the WITH_LIBTHR2 flag
states that all ports must also be recompiled to be on the
safe side.  This allows one to switch back and forth, as long
as any affected ports are also rebuilt.

If we were to introduce this in a future 12-current, we might
have the WITH_LIBTHR_FOO flag anyway, at least initially, so
perhaps it wouldn't be extra work.

--
DE