My build work and goals

Julian Elischer julian at freebsd.org
Fri Dec 11 06:44:25 UTC 2015

On 11/12/2015 3:56 AM, Bryan Drewery wrote:
> I think it is fair to
> say that most people don't understand how any of this works.
[...]
> - No one really was trying to improve it head-on and focused on
> FreeBSD's general audience needs.

> The maintenance problems come down to expertise.  Most developers are
> not experts in the build and don't have time or interest to become so.
  These three points are all pretty much the same thing.
I agree that it definitely needs to have a fairy godfather.

> Some improvements I have made recently:
> - WITH_FAST_DEPEND: Replacing the antiquated 'make depend'/'mkdep' with
> compiler dependency flags to generate the .depend files as a side-effect
> of compiling.  This saves tremendous time in buildworld and buildkernel.

Mach used to have this through their entire (bsd 4.3) tree. I forget
how they bootstrapped it.
Gcc would generate added dep files which were included into the static
files.
Without the dep files, every thing was assumed to be dirty.
The new dep files only kicked in on the second build.
It worked very very well.