mtree "language" enhancements

Masao Uebayashi uebayasi at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 09:58:34 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Tim Kientzle <tim at kientzle.com> wrote:

>>> look up uname and if that fails, use the specified uid.  Ditto for
>>> gname/gid.  In particular, this lets a single specification be used to
>>> rebuild a tree on another system with different UIDs or on a system that
>>> does not (yet) have a full password file.  An option could be provided for
>>> the (rare) case that someone really wants to prefer UIDs to unames.
>>>
>>> On further reflection, preferring UIDs to unames would actually be pretty
>>> common here.
>>>
>>> In particular, NanoBSD (and Crochet and other similar tools) should prefer
>>> the UID when building images instead of looking up unames against the build
>>> host's password file.
>>

>> I've implemented what we've talked about, except this. When doing the
>> makefs, we should use the /etc/master_password that's inside the image in
>> preference to either of these alternatives. That's the most correct thing
>> to do: use as much of the data as you can, as late as you can.
>>
>> The thing I'm struggling with now is why would both be present? Would that
>> indicate an error? Or someone changing the defaults? And if they are
>> changing the defaults, why use a uid in preference to a uname? Is this to
>> avoid contamination? To set something not in the password file, or just
>> comfort level of the user? FreeBSD will write unames for install*.
>>
>> So I'm left thinking that maybe the rule should be 'last one wins' at least
>> for the use case where we use the target's /etc/master_password. That's
>> what I've actually implemented.
>
> There are two key cases that drove this design for tar:
>
> 1.  Handling user info that is not (yet) in the target password file.  In practice, images get built up in different orders:  I might add a bunch of new files owned by a new user before some other process gets a chance to add the user.

When you say "image", you surely mean "file-system image".
File-system image contains on-disk data (inode), which contains
UID/GID instead of symbolic ones (uname/gname).

When you decide to create an image, you have a whole tree
(directories/files) that ends up in a generated file-system image.
Which means that when you create an image, you must know all the files
and UIDs/GIDs put there.  If not, what you are creating should not be
an image.  If you don't know UIDs/GIDs, can't you just create a tar
archive, and extract it when you really create an image later?

I don't really want mtree(1) unnecessarily smart so it makes
unnecessary decisions.  I want it to be simple and deterministic.