Removal of the 6.x kernel compat code from libc

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Apr 17 13:54:11 UTC 2015

> On Apr 17, 2015, at 7:29 AM, John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> On Friday, April 17, 2015 10:59:42 AM Konstantin Belousov wrote:
>> Our libc changes in sync with the kernel, but switching of libc to use
>> new interfaces means that upgrade of the userspace becomes the flag day.
>> People usually add backward-compatible shims for libc to use older
>> interfaces on old kernels.
>>
>> There is no reason to keep the compat shims after many years of the
>> transition.  Patch below purges the compat code for pre-r171219, which
>> added pad-less versions of syscalls taking off_t, and for r177911, which
>> handles the struct flock/oflock transition.  This is 6.x/7.x compat,
>> we absolutely not support running HEAD libc on such old kernels.
>
> I think this is fine.

I do too.

Please look at removing MK_COMPAT_SYSCALLS from the build too, since
it was the only knob that controlled these. I don’t see that in your patch
(though it would be easier for me to comment on in phabricator).

Also, in lib/libc/sys/fcnt.c:

+ * Copyright (c) 2014, 2015 The FreeBSD Foundation.

Should be 2014-2015

Warner