default file descriptor limit ?

O'Connor, Daniel darius at dons.net.au
Mon Apr 13 08:47:56 UTC 2015

> On 13 Apr 2015, at 18:01, Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw at zxy.spb.ru> wrote:
> May be now time to introduce new login class, for desktop users, with
> reduced limits for open files and some regionals settings. And modify
> bsdinstall to support this. And may be some Gnome/KDE tools for
> creating users (I am don't use KDE/Gnome).
>
> Base login class ('default') don't touching, don't have limits and
> have locale "C", used for system startup and daemons.

The question is: What is the upside of having such a large limit?

The downside is apparent - it's not the memory usage but the time wasted when running secure software since you can't use closefrom because it's not portable and so libraries/ports/etc don't use it (or more realistically Linux doesn't have it).

Other limits like max processes scaling with memory makes sense but maxfiles should probably scale more slowly (or maybe even not at all..)

--
Daniel O'Connor
are so many of them to choose from."