make universe failures?

Garrett Cooper yaneurabeya at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 00:41:36 UTC 2015

On Apr 4, 2015, at 17:37, Ian Lepore <ian at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2015-04-04 at 17:36 -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:

>>> Why not?
>>
>> Based on personal experience, parallelizing on two levels just seems like a bad idea, especially with recursive make and when dealing with .PHONY targets. I haven´t followed through the logic exactly to know where it falls apart, but I know I always run into issues when I use -j instead of JFLAG for specifying -j.
>> Cheers,
>
> Strange.  I've never heard of JFLAG and have only ever used -j

JFLAG’s a make tinderbox/universe thing. -j would build multiple universe targets in parallel with up to -j<foo> jobs each.

Again, I don’t know where and why things fall apart… it’s just that running multiple universes for me -j<foo> tends to get me in trouble. I’d have to go through and audit uses of ${.OBJDIR} to get a better idea of why things fail...

HTH!