refcount_release_take_##lock

Mateusz Guzik mjguzik at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 20:12:47 UTC 2014

On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 12:53:34PM -0700, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> Mateusz Guzik wrote this message on Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 21:26 +0200:

> > > Couldn't this be better written as:
> > > if (__predict_false(refcount_release(&obj->ref) == 0)) {
> > > 	lock(&something);
> > > 	if (__predict_true(!obj->ref)) {
> > > 		free up
> > > 	}
> > > 	unlock(&something);
> > > }
> > >
> > > The reason I'm asking is that I changed how IPsec SA ref counting was
> > > handled, and used something similar...
> > >
> > > My code gets rid of a branch, and is better in that it uses refcount
> > > API properly, instead of using atomic_cmpset_int...
> >
> > This is used when given obj is kept on a list and code which traverses
> > it (locked) expects found objects to be valid to ref.
> >
> > If we were to reach count of 0 and then lock, it would be possible that
> > other thread refed + unrefed the object and is now trying to lock as
> > well.
>
> Per the email I wrote to Ian, this "assumption" needs to be well
> documented that though the "list" has a reference, and that this
> reference is not accounted for in the ref count...
>
> And I personally think that it's a bug for the list to not hold it's
> own reference...  Yes, then you need to compare for when the ref count
> hits one, and do the lock/dec/free/unlock, but that keeps the refcount
> sane...

Well, this is for stuff which cleans up after itself.

Example usage is with per-uid stats for resource limits. These
automatically free themselves with the last cred with given uid.

This has its own problems (like constant creation and destruction of
stuff for the same cred), but seems ok enough for some cases.

Otherwise we would have to actively free these structs somehow.

--
Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik gmail.com>