How is MACHINE_ARCH dervived by make?

Garrett Cooper yaneurabeya at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 21:41:44 UTC 2014

On Nov 26, 2014, at 13:37, Sean Bruno <sbruno at ignoranthack.me> wrote:

> I have yet to find the magic bit in the build sys that causes ports to
> go off and think that I'm building for amd64.  Building on a real amd64
> box inside of an emulated jail via qemu and I still am getting tripped
> up by something in our system thinking that I want amd64 as the
> MACHINE_ARCH.

	It’s handled in bmake/make. If you need to crossbuild, you’ll probably need to tell make what your MACHINE_ARCH/MACHINE is.
	Please refer to the manpages for more details.
Cheers!

$ grep -rl MACHINE_ARCH contrib/bmake/ usr.bin/make | grep '\.c$'
contrib/bmake/main.c
contrib/bmake/arch.c
usr.bin/make/main.c