svn commit: r274739 - head/sys/mips/conf

Mark R V Murray mark at grondar.org
Sat Nov 22 23:12:03 UTC 2014

> On 22 Nov 2014, at 20:42, Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no> wrote:
>
> Mark R V Murray <mark at grondar.org> writes:
>> Why not just use rsh? If the security overhead is onerous, don’t use it.
>
> The flower said I wish I were a tree / the tree said I wish I could be a
> different kind of tree /the cat wished that it was a bee / the SO wished
> that he could kill / rsh and rlogin…

Hehehehe!

I still like using these in isolated nets where external hackery is of no concern, and something low-maintenance/overhead is needed. Its been a while since I did this, I admit, but I’d hate to lose them. They are, after all, disabled by default, as is telnet.

Some time ago I had a separate “backbone” net on which my NFS mounts operated. I also ran various inter-box jobs using rsh so I didn’t have to deal with crypto overhead. The single outward-facing connection was heavily secured.

I'd prefer to see r-utils maintained as part of the core OS, but if there was a maintained port, I guess I could tolerate that. :-)

Mark R V Murray