I'd like to axe some drivers

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Fri Nov 21 16:15:16 UTC 2014

On Thursday, November 20, 2014 11:15:26 PM Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2014, at 23:02, Joel Dahl <joel at vnode.se> wrote:

> >> I'm fine w/ removing these...  Should we do some house cleaning on
> >> amd64's GENERIC too?
> >>
> >> amd64's GENERIC has a lot of ISA or 100Mbit ethernet cards that are
> >> clearly not going to be used on these machines...
> >>
> >> My recommended list to remove:
> >> ae, bfe, dc, fxp, hme?, pcn, rl, tx, vr, wb, xl, cs, ed, ex, ep, fe,
> >> sn, xe
> >
> > I have amd64 machines with dc, fxp, pcn, rl and xl cards, so please don't remove
> > these from GENERIC. I think I have bfe, vr and ed cards as well, but I have to
> > check if they're in i386 or amd64 machines.
>
> Hi jhb/jmg,
> 	I realize it’s not canonical/complete, but have you checked into BSDStats yet http://bsdstats.org/bt/devices/class/02/subclass/00.html ?
> Thanks!

This only counts PCI devices, so it won't find the majority of the drivers
I listed since those are all ISA.  The exceptions are asr(4) and si(4) which
do support PCI.  si(4) does not show up there at all.  There is one asr(4)
card found, though that site doesn't lend itself to tell you anything useful
such as which OS's or versions it is used on, so it could be something
running 4.x for all I know.

--
John Baldwin