I'd like to axe some drivers

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Nov 20 22:37:16 UTC 2014

On Nov 20, 2014, at 3:07 PM, John-Mark Gurney <jmg at funkthat.com> wrote:

> I'm fine w/ removing these...  Should we do some house cleaning on
> amd64's GENERIC too?
>
> amd64's GENERIC has a lot of ISA or 100Mbit ethernet cards that are
> clearly not going to be used on these machines...
>
> My recommended list to remove:
> ae, bfe, dc, fxp, hme?, pcn, rl, tx, vr, wb, xl, cs, ed, ex, ep, fe,
> sn, xe

All the PC Card ones (cs, ed, ex, ep, fe, sn, xe) are no brainers to remove
from GENERIC.

hme is a Sparc-centric card, so can go.

The CardBus ones (dc, fxp, rl, re and xl) are less no-brainerish. Older 64-bit
laptops have only CardBus, and some have these built-in. Since these types
of systems are rare, and rarely NFS boot, having them as modules is likely
fine.

Of the others, only pcn may be relevant enough to stay. At one time it was in
there because one of the virtualization programs (qemu? virtual box?) had that
as its default network config.

Warner