RFC: Enabling VIMAGE in GENERIC

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Mon Nov 17 11:43:02 UTC 2014

On 17 Nov 2014, at 11:20 , Willem Jan Withagen <wjw at digiware.nl> wrote:

> I think I understand your critique, but then on the other hand I wonder
> where the reluctance is.... As I read it, things are going to be enabled
> in CURRENT only (for the time). Which is exactly for the reasons you
> worry about: Is it going to be reliable enough??

No, the answer to that still is “no” in it’s current state and we know that.

I think one of the main problems is that no one has been able to pull the
thing to the end in the last three years.  Why should it happen within 6 weeks now?

I think it would be a really good idea to do that but the current TODO list,
I think, is by far not sufficing.

There’s a second problem we’ll hit in that same timeframe:  general network
stack breakage;  we’ll hit the times when we’ll not be sure if things broke
because of VIMAGE or are also broken in the normal network stack.   There’ll
be a lot of regression test writing and debugging to be done.

That all said, I’d like to see it happen as well, but I’d love to have a lot
of the issues being addressed first before putting a date on it to enable
it in GENERIC in HEAD.

/bz

—
Bjoern A. Zeeb             "Come on. Learn, goddamn it.", WarGames, 1983