Questions about locking; turnstiles and sleeping threads

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Thu Nov 13 09:38:33 UTC 2014

It looks like the initial firings are because the check I put in
didn't check to see if it's MPSAFE.

eg:

ip6_input -> tcp6_input -> tcp_input -> tcp_do_segment ->
tcp_timer_active -> callout_stop_safe; called with tcpinp held.
closefp() -> closef() -> fdrop -> soclose() -> sofree() ->
tcp_usr_detach() -> tcp_discardcb() -> callout_stop_safe() with the
tcpinp and tcp locks held.
ioctl -> sys_ioctl-> devfs_ioctl_f -> acpi_ackSleepState ->
callout_stop_safe; with ACPI global lock held;
suspend path -> hdaa_suspend -> callout_stop_safe() with HDA driver mutex held

So we can't just put the simple witness check from _sleep() in
_callout_stop_safe(), it looks like it's mis-firing on MPSAFE callouts
(which the tcp timers all are) and that won't go via the sleepq.
It looks like the acpi callout is also mpsafe, as well as the HDA jack callout.

However, I did pick up this:

detach path -> usbd_transfer_drain() -> usbd_transfer_stop() ->
ehci_device_intr_close() -> usbd_transfer_done() ->
callout_stop_safe() with USB HUB mutex held

The usbd_transfer_done() callout is initialised with a mutex, but the
witness code should've detected it wasn't callout->c_lock and thus
warned.

-adrian