Lack of informative files in FreeBSD svn

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 08:57:01 UTC 2014

On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 8:32 PM, John-Mark Gurney <jmg at funkthat.com> wrote:

> Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote this message on Sun, Nov 09, 2014 at 07:27
> -0800:
> > When the FreeBSD svn is studied , one of the most important problems
> seems
> > to be missing ReadMe or other informative files in many directories .
>
> If we put a README in every directory, we'd end up w/ over 6k READMEs,
> and that's just for base... We'd end up w/ 100 times more if we did
> that for all of projects and users in svn...  The svn tree isn't
> a stand alone product...  Did you download the doc svn repo too?
>
> > The assumption at present seems to be that such a study will ALWAYS be
> > performed by persons who know the FreeBSD very well .
>
> I'd disagree...  the Developers Handbook mentioned below is an example
> of that...
>
> > This structure is , in my opinion , an important obstacle in front of the
> > persons wishing to study and understand the FreeBSD structure very well
> and
> > then try to make contributions .
> >

> > As an example , consider
> >
> > https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/user/
> >
> > directory .
> >
> > In that directory , there are work in progress projects ( I assume like
> > that ) .
> > There is a guidelines text , but not a ReadMe file or any other named
> file
> > to list names and their project subjects .
>
> You need to talk to each user to which the repo belongs...  Most of
> these are not for public consumption, unless the user calls for
> testing...
>
> > Also there is no any html file which contains links to related off site
> > pages such as FreeBSD wiki .
> >
> > And also no one of the directories contain a ReadMe file about the tasks
> > studied .
> >

> > It may be said that , no one of the directory is related to the general
> > public other than its owner .
> >
> > Such an idea is very contrary to ideas specified in status reports and
> open
> > projects pages and in some other messages that saying there is an
> important
> > man power requirement .
> >
> > Another disadvantage is that when a person wishes to make an improvement
> > she/he is not able to study existing works and if possible to join to
> such
> > groups . There remains a possibility , mostly , to start from scratch in
> > isolation.
>
> This stands for all projects...  Not everyone makes all of their work
> available, nor do they necessarily have it in a clean enough state that
> it is even usable...  For finding out about the project, post to one
> of the mailing lists, or look at the svn history to see who is recently
> most active and drop them an email...  Most projects require some
> reading of documentation available before you can meaningfully
> contribute to a project..

> [...]

(1)

Assume the other main directories are containing files such as

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/README?view=markup

with information about their contents .

(2)

Assume directory :

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/usr.sbin/pkg/

A small html file containing links to some related pages , such as :

https://github.com/freebsd/pkg
https://wiki.freebsd.org/pkgng
http://jenkins.mouf.net/job/pkg/

With such files , related information will be connected to each other and
traversing them will be very easy .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk