Overlinking in base

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 5 11:38:44 UTC 2014

Hi all,

We do overlink a lot in the base system.

I wrote a script to check overlinking on the final binaries and running it on
/usr/bin files I got the following results:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Overlinking

Most of the overlink are due to LDADD having all the recursive libraries which
for dynamic linking we do not need.

We might need them for static linking, but I think we should fix those.

I think anyway a binary Makefile should only declare its direct dependencies and
not the dependencies of its dependencies.

I was already proposing in the past to import pkgconf in base to solve this as
the library will declare its dependencies in case of dynamic linking and/or in
case of static linking (which can be different)

This can also be done in pure make(1)

regards,
Bapt