CFR, CFT: Fine-grained SUBDIR dependencies for parallel builds

Ian Lepore ian at FreeBSD.org
Wed May 28 13:21:44 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-05-28 at 12:58 +0800, Jia-Shiun Li wrote:
> It failed cleandir at libmb with -j4. Test script attached and log
> snippet below.
>
> Tested with:
> - HW: i5-3450 CPU w/ 8GB memory
> - /usr/obj & src mounted on tmpfs.
>
> src uses ~1GB without .svn dir. /usr/obj uses another ~2GB for
> buildworld, not including buildkernel. If memory is not constrained I
> think it is easier to use tmpfs to uncover parallel timing/race issues
> hidden by slower I/O.
>

> -Jia-shiun.

Doh!  There was a typo, libmb should have been libmd.  More importantly,
it shows that my testing didn't test anything at all.  I think I applied
the patch in one sandbox and then ran make universe in a different one.
Here's an updated patch (this time I'll try to test it correctly myself
too).

Thanks for testing.

-- Ian