newcons fb driver

Justin Hibbits jhibbits at freebsd.org
Mon Mar 3 17:44:20 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 8:49 AM, Kurt Lidl <lidl at pix.net> wrote:
>> In message <CAJ-Vmo=jCGUxXs_GBoCm581wTouozWE=AQ3x1wBKYM_J3_dGrg at
>> mail.gmail.com>
>>
>> , Adrian Chadd writes:
>>
>>> .. i'm pretty sure there was a reason for why it's done in byte sizes.
>>> Maybe speak to phk?
>>

>> Buggy video hardware, which does not do larger writes correctly,
>> the most recent one being an Intel Laptop, but I can't remember which.
>>
>> At the very least, byte writes needs to be a boot-time option.
>

> Intel Atom boards, as I recall:
>
> http://freshbsd.org/commit/freebsd/r237203
>
> -Kurt

All great knowledge, but really only answers half of what I'm looking
for (always good to know potential pitfalls).  Assuming a
tunable/sysctl is added, what's the best way to optimize from my
original post?  Use a backing buffer (potentially with a tunable to
not)?  Or assume we don't support background images, and write the
background color in the masked pixels?

- Justin