conflict between netif and pccard_ether...

John-Mark Gurney jmg at funkthat.com
Sat Jun 21 10:40:33 UTC 2014

John Baldwin wrote this message on Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 09:17 -0400:
> On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:13:18 pm John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> > So, I recently was trying to figure out why wireless on my notebook
> > wouldn't work..  I would boot up the machine w/o the wireless
> > configured, uncomment the lines in rc.conf, and then run
> > "service netif start"...
> >
> > Wireless would associate, but when disconnect... After some
> > investigation, it turns out that two copies of wpa_supplicant are
> > being launched... I believe one from netif, and another from
> > pccard_ether launched by devd...
> >
> > The issue is that both netif and pccard_ether "claim" ownership of
> > them.  pccard_ether will ignore the ifconfig_ line if NOAUTO is
> > specified.  IMO, we need to make one or the other "own" configuring
> > and launching the interface...
> >
> > There is also the issue that wpa_sup doesn't use proper locking on
> > the pidfile and allows two copies to be launched...  My thoughts
> > is to convert it to pidfile to fix this issue the easiest...
>
> I think this is actually the best fix.  dhclient handles this correctly for
> this reason.
>
> > Comments?  Suggestions?
>
> We had a thread a few months ago about this very topic and I committed changes
> to the rc.d scripts that I then had to revert because it broke other use
> cases.  Having the redundant start be harmless is the simplest way to handle
> this.

Ok, I converted wpa_supplicant to use pidfile(3), and it successfully
fixes the issue I had... I get the error that wpa_supplicant is already
running... It looks like in my case, devd was beating out netif in
launching wpa_sup...

I've attached the patch...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579