gdb in CURRENT cannot debug userland cores, when is kernel lldb coming?

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 11 18:53:23 UTC 2014

Hi,

Recently when trying to debug some coredumps in CURRENT from
a userland process in the devel/libvirt port, I found that the gdb in
base could not get a backtrace from the core file:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-virtualization/2014-June/002606.html

I needed to add to my /etc/src.conf WITH_LLDB=yes
and compile and install lldb, which *could* analyze the coredump.

I realize that gdb in base is on its way out the door, and that
clang and lldb are the new world order.  However, one of the
main blockers for removing gdb from base is that
there is no equivalent to kgdb in the lldb world.

Is anyone working on a kernel lldb?  When is it expected to be ready?
Will something like it be ready by end of 2014?

Even though this may not be an issue in the stable/10 branch,
it would be nice to have a kernel lldb debugger ready by
the next 10.1R if possible.

--
Craig