Roadmap for ifnet(9) for FreeBSD 11

John-Mark Gurney jmg at funkthat.com
Mon Jun 2 23:07:34 UTC 2014

Anuranjan Shukla wrote this message on Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 22:50 +0000:
> The first email in this thread from Marcel has the schedule:
>
> On 5/28/14, 9:34 AM, "Marcel Moolenaar" <marcel at xcllnt.net> wrote:
>
> <?snip?>
> Schedule:
>
> late May 2014		Juniper adds accessor methods. Access via
> 			void *, that inside if.c is re-casted to
> 			(struct ifnet *). This ³ugly² moment is
> 			required to keep unconverted drivers
> 			compilable and will go away shortly after.

So, shortly...  My definition of shortly is three months... So, will
that happen?  There are an awful lot of drivers to convert and test,
in a short amount of time...

The reason I'm asking is that often people say, oh, it'll happen
shortly w/ things like docs, code fixes, etc, and then 2 years go by
and nothing happens...  I know that converting ALL drivers is not a
simple matter considering how many different drivers we have in the
tree, so shortly seems optimistic to me...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579