small kernel kernel option...

John-Mark Gurney jmg at funkthat.com
Wed Feb 26 21:48:17 UTC 2014

I'm about to commit a change to sha256 to speed it up, but the cost
of that speed up is an increase in code/data size from just under 1k
to almost 9k (as measured on amd64)...  this increase is from unrolling
a loop..

Maybe we should have a global kernel option, SMALL_KERNEL, or something
similar that can be used to shrink code size for those that are trying
to build small embedded devices...

Or do we already have this option, but I just don't know about it?

I know 8k isn't much, but, a billion here and a billion there and pretty
soon you're talking about real money.. :)

Comments?

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579