can the scheduler decide to schedule an interrupted but runnable thread on another CPU core? What are the implications for code?

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Fri Feb 14 19:10:44 UTC 2014

On Friday, February 14, 2014 1:26:07 pm Andrey Chernov wrote:
> On 14.02.2014 22:18, John Baldwin wrote:

> >> Yup, I'm doing a manual, poor-mans RSS in lieu of merging in roberts
stuff:

> >> * the userland threads are using the cpuset call to map a thread into
> >> a cpuset, yes
> >> * the NIC TX/RX ring routines in cxgbe are pinned to the same CPU as
> >> the userland threads
> >
> > If they are all cpuset to a single CPU, they should not migrate, though
> > I think sched_bind() can override that.  However, that requires code to
> > explicitly call sched_bind() which should be rare.
> >

> Due to this bug, not fixed yet, the real picture is more complex:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/163585

Eh, that bug report has no useful details, as in, it doesn't list the
actual commands run.  If you do 'cpuset -l 6 -s 1' to force all
processes to only use CPU6, then yes, of course the other CPUs are idle
because that's what you _asked_ for.  AFAICT, that is all the original
reporter did.  At work we regularly add and remove CPUs from the
default set (set 1) on hundreds of machines every day with ULE without
any issues.

--
John Baldwin