_bootstrap-tools parallel build (was: Re: CFR, CFT: Fine-grained SUBDIR dependencies for parallel builds

Garrett Cooper yaneurabeya at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 19:49:44 UTC 2014

On Dec 15, 2014, at 21:00, Jia-Shiun Li <jiashiun at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 10:04 PM, Ian Lepore <ian at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>> The parallelism in the bootstrap stuff in Makefile.inc1 is done with a
>> different-but-similar mechanism, and it would be nice to fix that to
>> just use bsd.subdir.mk instead of almost-duplicating it inline.  That's
>> on a longer-term to-do list for me.
>>

> Hi Ian & all,
>
> I did it manually for _bootstrap-tools anyway. Patches attached.
>
> It reduces 'make -j24 _botostrap-tools' time from ~55 sec. to ~25 sec.
> on a 12C IVB-EP.
> It scales more linearly in comparison to single-job ~250 sec on the
> same machine.
> Main blockers were tblgen & groff.
>
> On -j4 it reduces time from ~82 sec. to ~60 sec. too.
>
> It passed 'make -j24 universe' except the seemingly broken i386 kernels.
>
> Any comments?

Hi Jia-Shiun!
	I submitted the gnu/usr.bin/groff portion of your patch in r275866 . I’m going to look at stripping down bootstrap-tools, et al a bit more in the next couple days and I’ll be using your patch in part with some parallel efforts I’ve done on a branch on my github fork as well: https://github.com/yaneurabeya/freebsd/tree/faster-build .
Thank you!