Change default VFS timestamp precision?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Dec 17 19:09:17 UTC 2014

--------
In message <CAJ-Vmokkc-p4-keMExxT+wyjugA8zYRS2XRv6VucWnfH0iw_Pw at mail.gmail.com>
, Adrian Chadd writes:

>> I think it is over 10 years ago when make(1) first started seeing
>> identical timestamps which wasn't.
>>
>> In most Makefiles this doesn't matter, but there are cases, in particular
>> in less integrated families of makefiles than our own.
>
>Surely there has to be better ways of doing this stuff. Computers keep
>getting faster; it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that we
>could see a compiler read, compile and spit out a .o inside of a
>millisecond. (Obviously not C++, but..)

A millisecond is pushing it, all things considered, it would have to
be an utterly trivial source file for a utterly trivial language.

Given that it has epsilon cost, switching to TSP_HZ should be a
no-brainer, I've been running that for ages.

Why TSP_USEC exists is beyond me, it's slower and worse than TSP_NSEC.

But going to TSP_NSEC by default seems unwarranted to me.