Time for turning off gdb by default? Or worse...

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Sat Apr 12 02:14:09 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 6:49 PM, Julian Elischer <julian at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 4/12/14, 4:35 AM, Ed Maste wrote:
>>
>> On 11 April 2014 14:26, Julian Elischer <julian at freebsd.org>
>>>
>>> bleagh!
>>>
>>> compare with ddd..
>>>

>>> http://img.brothersoft.com/screenshots/softimage/d/data_display_debugger_for_mac-203841-1231223624.jpeg
>>>
>>> https://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/   for more examples
>>
>> I'm not sure how that's relevant; we're not contemplating putting that
>> in the base system.
>>
> I'm suggestng that it's another way where gdb has features that lldb
> doesn't. A plethora of front-ends.

Maybe, but that's not the question here.  The curses front end was a
distraction.

The issue was:
Given that the in-tree gdb is woefully stale and increasingly
difficult to use with our current toolchain, is it time to turn it off
and put our weight behind the ports version?  If so, what would we
have to take care of or  bring over to the port version before we
could?

The consensus seems to be that the loss of kgdb functionality would be
a blocker.

Front ends for debuggers are way out of scope of the original question.
--
Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com; KI6FJV