Time for turning off gdb by default? Or worse...

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Apr 10 22:52:09 UTC 2014

On Apr 10, 2014, at 4:42 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 10 April 2014 15:33, Dimitry Andric <dim at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> On 10 Apr 2014, at 23:40, Adrian Chadd <adrian at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> My (-1) action item:
>>>
>>> * make llvm in -HEAD generate dwarf-2 code by default so the base
>>> system gdb can be again used against binaries that have debug symbols,
>>> at least until a viable replacement is ready.
>>
>> Just do:
>>
>> pkg install gdb
>
> I think you're missing the whole point.
>
> Also, that doesn't work on MIPS. Or ARM. Or PPC. Or IA-64.

If it did, we could just turn off gdb and life would be good…

Please see https://wiki.freebsd.org/GdbRetirement and edit it based on testing that you can do. That wiki page is there to drive this issue to Dimitry’s answer in the fullness of time.

If we had kgdb support in ports and arm worked, we might be able to get away with it, but we’re not even close on either of those at the moment...

Warner

P.S. Minor quibble: it does work on powerpc, but not sparc64. Doesn’t change your point though.