Time for turning off gdb by default? Or worse...

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Tue Apr 8 21:24:57 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 02:34:35PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:

(courtesy line wrap to something well below 80 characters)

> The gdb in the tree seems to be of very limited usefulness
> these days. It doesn?t seem to work on clang-enabled
> architectures w/o building -gdwarf-2, it doesn?t seem to work
> with threaded applications, and on some architectures it
> doesn?t seem to work at all (mips comes to mind, but it may
> have been the two binaries I tried).

(patch removed)

> to the tree, which will turn gdb off by default.  It may make
> more sense to just remove it entirely, but I?m not sure I want
> to go there just yet in case there are things that I?m missing.
> I believe that the port will be adequate for all architectures
> we support, but haven?t tested this directly yet. I do know
> that on amd64, the port just worked, where the in-tree gdb
> was an epic fail.

I suppose the obvious questions are:

1) Is lldb ready for prime time?

2) What effect does this have on kgdb?  Note, /sys/conf/NOTES contains

#makeoptions	DEBUG=-g		#Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols

Should this be updates to DEBUG=-gdwarf-2?

PS: You'll need to sweep src/ for references to gdb(1).

--
Steve