[RFC] adding a variable to .mk and Makefile.inc1 to point to top of the FreeBSD source tree

Garrett Cooper yanegomi at gmail.com
Tue May 7 20:46:40 UTC 2013

On May 7, 2013, at 1:39 PM, Brooks Davis wrote:

> On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 01:05:07PM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>> Hi,
>>    A common pattern that I've seen at Isilon and something else that I've
>> wanted to have for a while is the ability to designate where the top of a
>> source tree was. This is important and helpful when dealing with source
>> files that build upon each other or depend on sources located in other
>> sections of the tree; contrib stuff needs to set .PATH appropriately to
>> point to sources at the top of the tree, sys stuff is riddled with S= in
>> order to point to where /sys, etc lives, we build upon FreeBSD within an
>> expected directory structure as well.
>>    I haven't come up with a name, but was wondering if this was a good
>> idea, and if so does anyone have any outstanding patches for this that can
>> be pushed into FreeBSD?
>
> I'd like to see this.  There's a variable for this in NetBSD and I've
> wanted to do this because it makes code easier to relocate within the
> tree.

	This is another good reason. It would make porting code to/from NetBSD a LOT easier… especially because I plan on pulling a lot of test/test infrastructure code from NetBSD and I really don't want to commit too many local changes to the Makefiles. Less divergence -> better cross-pollination -> less work for all -> win for the BSDs.
	Thanks for the reminder.. I'll base it off what NetBSD did :).
Thanks,
-Garrett