Building library that depends on another library.

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 7 18:47:37 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 08:49:15PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd at FreeBSD.org> writes:
> > It looks like to make such dependency work one HAS TO add libnv to
> > _prebuild_libs in src/Makefile.inc1, which seems wrong.
>
> It may seem wrong, but it is correct, cf the following comment in
> Makefile.inc1:
>
> # The list of libraries with dependents (${_prebuild_libs}) and their
> # interdependencies (__L) are built automatically by the
> # ${.CURDIR}/tools/make_libdeps.sh script.

Yes, this also means SUBDIR_ORDERED in lib/Makefile doesn't make sense.

All in all I really don't like to add libraries to Makefile.inc1, it
doesn't sound right. I'd like this to be self-contained. For bsd.prog.mk
it is enough to specify DPADD/LDADD in program's Makefile instead of
hacking some central Makefile.

I came up with something like the following. Instead of:

DPADD=	${LIBNV}
LDADD=	-lnv
(plus modifying src/Makefile.inc1)

I only add: