A General or Miscellaneous Binary Image Activator

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Thu May 2 16:39:36 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, May 01, 2013 7:02:49 pm Stacey Son wrote:
> Of course, comments, questions, concerns, etc. are welcome.

Certainly the ability to cross-build ports in this way is a huge win.  I just
have a few comments on the kern.binmisc sysctl:

It seems to be a bit overloaded and not used like a typical sysctl.  A better
match would seem to be a /dev/binmisc that you perform ioctl's on.  A sysctl
might still make better sense for enumerating the interperter entries, but the
more typical way to do that would either be to have kern.binmisc.<n> be a
sysctl that returns item <n> in the list, or to have the kern.binmisc sysctl
that just returns an array of xbe entries (rather than having separate
list/lookup operations) similar to how the kern.proc sysctls work.  If you
were to do this, I would probably prefer the second approach (one sysctl that
returns a consistent snapshot).

--
John Baldwin