libutil in Debian

Robert Millan rmh at freebsd.org
Sat Jul 13 21:52:42 UTC 2013

2013/7/13 Jilles Tjoelker <jilles at stack.nl>:
> I would say that a Debian patch is indeed not the first thing to try for
> a <sys/queue.h> update, since it makes things incompatible between Linux
> distributions. Rather, that should be done in glibc upstream. About
> copyright assignment, note that the original file is already not
> copyright FSF and was added to glibc anyway.

What you say makes sense but in practice doesn't really work. If you
don't believe me, just try. I'll be happy to be proven wrong :-)

But please bear with me if I don't want to spend my own time in it.
We're still waiting [1] for them to stop colliding with <sys/cdefs.h>
"__unused" in their own headers (fortunately, it just requires an
excruciatingly complicated kludge [2] to get around this one).

[1] http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-ports/2012-01/msg00000.html

[2] http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/glibc-bsd/trunk/freebsd-glue/include/netdb.h?revision=4718&view=co

--
Robert Millan