libutil in Debian

Robert Millan rmh at freebsd.org
Tue Jul 9 19:25:38 UTC 2013

(not that this matters if the symlink option is adopted, but anyway,
for your curiosity...)

2013/7/9 Peter Wemm <peter at wemm.org>:
> What does glibc put in its libutil? Is it meant to be a bsdish-libutil
> compatability API? or something completely different?  How did this
> even happen in the first place?

It begun as libbsd, and it included a bunch of BSDish compatibility stuff.

Then I think it was renamed to libbsd-compat at some point.

And it was finally renamed to libutil.

I think that's as the history goes. Mind that I didn't live through
it, just derived this information by means of archaeology.