libutil in Debian

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Tue Jul 9 17:34:18 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 10:23 AM, Tijl Coosemans <tijl at coosemans.org> wrote:
> On 2013-07-09 19:13, Warner Losh wrote:

>>> Renaming the libutil would break the ABI of the base system.
>>> If you are introducing new interfaces to the other systems, you
>>> can use a library name you find suitable.  But for the library
>>> which is linked with significant number of existing binaries,
>>> rename is not an easy option.
>>
>> Can we use libmap.conf to create an alias for the new name on FreeBSD
>> so that programs that link against libbsdutil, to pick an arbitrary
>> name, can work and libbsdutil can be packaged for debian? This will
>> allow things to be portable, while allowing repackaging by Debian.
>
> Or just a libbsdutil.so symlink?

ld uses lib*.so
ld-elf.so.1 uses the embedded DT_NEEDED that comes from the DT_SONAME
embedded in the *.so files.

Autoconf knows things like (a few random samples)
checking for openpty() in -lutil
checking for kvm_open in libutil
checking for login_getclass() in -lutil

While we could change the DT_SONAME, I don't see a way around "-lutil"
without a lot of pain on our end.
--
Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com; KI6FJV
UTF-8: So you can \342\200\231 .. for when a ' just won't do