FDT on x86 and for non-fdtbus devices.

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Thu Feb 14 17:00:31 UTC 2013

On Feb 14, 2013, at 6:45 AM, Robert N. M. Watson <rwatson at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

>> But I'm curious why your specific example wouldn't already live in the FDT for your board....
>

> We want to put hardware configuration parameters in the on-board FDT.
>
> We want to put software configuration parameters in the kernel targeted for the board.

/nod

I think it's a feature to instantiate GEOMs from the FDT.
Creating a mirrored disk configuration when the disks are
already in use cannot in general be done using tasting.
The assumption that the last sector is free is invalid
with GPT and it has created conformance problems for us
already. Being able to construct the gmirror GEOM from the
FDT eliminates the need to scribble meta-data on the disk
and as such allows us to mirror 2 GPT disks at the disk
level without instantaneously becoming non-conformant.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
marcel at xcllnt.net