Proposal: Unify printing the function name in panic messages()

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Thu Feb 14 14:03:56 UTC 2013

Andriy Gapon <avg at FreeBSD.org> writes:
> Something of tangential relevance.  In Linux they have some special
> trace code to debug ACPI resume issues that stores some IDs/hashes of
> trace statements (perhaps somewhat akin to our ktr) to RTC time-of-day
> registers.  I guess that that was a smart choice because you can count
> on presence of those registers and they can be written with simple
> outb instructions.

They're not really registers, just unused space in non-volatile memory.
To the computer, a DS1307-compatible RTC looks like a 64-byte flash chip
connected by I2C.  IIRC, the RTC stores the date and time in BCD in the
lower bytes and the rest is unused, unless you have a high-end chip that
uses a few extra bytes to store calibration parameters etc.  Storing
data there is not *quite* "simple outb instructions" since I2C is an
adressable serial bus, but it's not insurmountable, and the type of
machines that matter to people working on suspend / resume are pretty
much guaranteed to have a DS1307-compatible RTC.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no