Fwd: Use of the PC value in interrupt/exception handlers

Ian Lepore ian at FreeBSD.org
Fri Aug 2 15:32:21 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-08-02 at 19:08 +0900, Piyus Kedia wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> We are working on developing a dynamic binary translator for the kernel.
> Towards this, we wanted to confirm if the interrupted PC value pushed on
> stack by an interrupt/exception is used by the interrupt/exception
> handlers? For example, is the PC value compared against a fixed address to
> determine the handler behaviour (like
> Linux's page fault handler compares the faulting PC against an exception
> table, to allow functions like copy_from_user to fault).
>
> Basically, we are wondering if it is safe to replace the pushed PC value on
> stack by another value. This would be safe if the PC value is only used for
> returning from interrupt, or for reading contents at that PC address (e.g.,
> to decode the instruction at current PC). It would be unsafe if the value
> of the address itself is meaningful to the handler.
>
> We found that in FreeBSD segment-not-present exception handler checks the
> trapped PC value against some fixed kernel PC by looking at the code,
> except that it is only used for debugging purposes. It would be nice if
> somebody could also confirm this.
>
> Thanks,
> Piyus

For the ARM architectures which use Restartable Atomic Sequences (RAS)
to implement atomic operations, examining the value of the saved PC and
possibly modifying it is how RAS works.  See the PUSHFRAMEINSVC macro in
sys/arm/include/asmacros.h.

In  a nutshell, the RAS code works by having userland code store the
begin/end addresses of a small block of code that must be executed to
completion without interruption to be correct.  If an exception or
interrupt happens while the PC is in that range, the exception-entry
code implemented by PUSHFRAMEINSVC modifies the saved PC so that on
return to userland, execution resumes at the beginning of the atomic
sequence.

-- Ian