[RFC] [Optionally] build tests with buildworld

Garrett Cooper yaneurabeya at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 06:17:52 UTC 2013

Hi arch@ and toolchain@,
    One of the items that I'm proposing be added to Makefile.inc1 in
order to make building and installing tests on CURRENT (ATF and
otherwise) is a build knob called TESTS_WITH_WORLD (the name can be
modified), which allows me to build and install various tests on my
git branch like the example ATF tests I produced, pjdfstest, some of
the prove tests from tools/regression, etc (there are other
outstanding changes, but this was the key one that I need feedback on
just to be safe).
    The effective change is attached (Gmail will no doubt mangle it,
so please let me know if you want another copy). I made the change to
Makefile.inc1 in order to ensure that the change was self-contained
and because it was the simplest, cleanest way to do things without
introducing a lot of unwanted complexity.
    I'm asking for feedback on the following items:
    1. Does the change make functional sense? If not, why?
    2. Do the semantics (variable names, whether or not they're
defined) need to be modified to match MK_* semantics or be made more
consistent in any particular way? If so, why?
    3. Will anyone have serious heartburn (already have a similar
change implemented, think it's done in a backwards manner) if this
change is implemented? If so, why?
Thanks!
-Garrett

PS Please CC me on all replies as I'm not subscribed to the list.