Fallout from the CVS discussion

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Sep 16 05:40:41 UTC 2012

On Sep 15, 2012, at 11:35 PM, Konstantin Belousov wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 04:37:49PM -0400, Eitan Adler wrote:
>
> Removing the whole CVS discussion above, want to answer to seemingly
> unrelated note in your email, which I see as continuing very disturbing
> trend.
>
>> However, -CURRENT is not meant to be a production system.
>
> It is simply not true. CURRENT shall never be knowingly put into a state
> where it cannot be used for the 'production-grade' use, whatever it
> means. We do accept changes are so disruptive that some unknown fallout
> is expected, since otherwise developers cannot make any significant
> progress.
>
> But introducing known breakage is simply not acceptable. Doing so shrinks
> the already limited testing base we have for HEAD.

That, in a nutshell, is why I've been beating on the 'we have to tie up the loose ends we know about before pulling the trigger' drum...  That should be people's first thought before they make major changes in FreeBSD.  For a better handled thread, look at the clang discussions when the warnings were sent out of the cut over.  MANY things have come to light in that discussion which were little known, and they should be fixed...

Warner