Removing CVS from HEAD

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Fri Sep 14 01:33:36 UTC 2012

On 2012-Sep-13 14:49:20 +0200, "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs at berklix.com> wrote:
>=?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= wrote:
>> Which other Unices provide CVS out of the box?

I notice you've carefully avoided answering this.

>DES hyperbole discarded, CVS would be just one more issue just for some.

The hyperbole here is coming from you, not des at .

>Some might agressively pitch for a short timescale, but if CVS goes,
>FreeBSD will hopefuly look beyond just its developers' group, remember its
>users, & consider a schedule similar to one a OS software manager would.

CVS is a development tool and the version in FreeBSD base was intended
for FreeBSD development.  People using CVS for other purposes are
unlikely to be best served by using an unmaintained and modified variant
of an obsolete version of CVS.

As for the schedule, as has been repeatedly stated, this change will
only affect 10.x and later.  If this proposal goes ahead, the first
FreeBSD release to not have CVS in the base will be 10.0-RELEASE -
which (IMHO) is unlikely to appear for another year.  And 9.x will
continue to include CVS in the base and should be supported for at
least 2 years after 10.0-RELEASE comes out.  Thus, anyone currently
relying on the base CVS has at least 3 years to plan their transition.

--
Peter Jeremy