New Boot Loader Menu

Devin Teske devin.teske at fisglobal.com
Sun Oct 7 19:03:57 UTC 2012

On Oct 7, 2012, at 11:51 AM, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

> Devin Teske <devin.teske at fisglobal.com> writes:
>> Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no> writes:
>>> What problem are you trying to solve, exactly?
>> Many in-fact:
>> [list of things that bear no relation whatsoever to what was actually
>> in the email I replied to]

I disagree with your slight that those "things … bear no relation whatsoever to what was actually in the e-mail [you] replied to".

It only *seem* as those are unrelated. I assure you, they are _very_ related (and it's very much my mistake for not making it clear in my initial e-mail). I must apologize for this lack of clarity (I try to rectify it below).

> Then maybe you should have focused on that in your original email.

Yes, perhaps.

Perhaps it would have been better to explain:

Hey…

+ iX and I are working on enhancing the boot loader menu to include a new submenu for selecting a Boot Environment (BE). I'm providing the menu infrastructure, iX is providing the C code to populate that menu.

+ We can't add this new menu item without pigeon-holing ourselves into a position where no more menuitems can be added.

+ This pigeon-hole has forced the hand of moving some-or-all of the boot options into a submenu.

+ This is what it would look like.

and _then_ ask:

+ What do you think of how it looks?

--