aio in GENERIC?

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jul 22 16:53:59 UTC 2012

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> What practically does aio offer that is not achieved via pthreads other than
> slightly simpler code?

Although the VFS side of the AIO code blocks kernel threads during in-progress
I/O, the socket side is able to do fully asynchronous I/O down the stack
without committing a kernel thread to it.  As such, it probably is actually
significantly more scalable, allowing larger numbers of simultaneous
outstanding I/Os in the network layer, and more efficiently than simply using
threads.

Robert