svn commit: r237624 - in head: cddl/contrib/opensolaris/cmd/dtrace/test/tst/common/llquantize cddl/contrib/opensolaris/lib/libdtrace/common sys/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/dtrace sys/cddl/c...

Pedro Giffuni pfg at freebsd.org
Tue Jul 3 15:09:42 UTC 2012

--- Mar 3/7/12, gnn at freebsd.org <gnn at freebsd.org> ha scritto:
> Again, moving to arch@
>
> At Mon, 2 Jul 2012 14:09:31 -0700,
> David O'Brien wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Jul 01, 2012 at 08:32:41PM -0700, Doug Barton
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Creating a new vendor area would be the right solution, yes.
> >
> > I totally disagree -- it will cause a real pain merging.

The idea was to keep in order the code provenance issue.
Illumos is not a vendor: the changes are copyrighted
individually by Nexenta, Joyent, Delphix and others
and if we want to track IP property for whatever reason
it's convenient to have it separate from the OpenSolaris
stuff.

Concerning the multiple vendor issue if time proves that
opensolaris is dead then we don't have a problem and we
can just drop that branch. I suspect that if OpenSolaris
somehow resurrects Illumos will have to deal with it too.
(so yes, I guess I am starting to agree with David).

> > Think about it -- if we import a new code drop of
> > uts/common/fs/zfs/*.c into
> > '^/vendor-sys/illumos', how do we merge that to HEAD?
> >
> > I don't believe 'svn merge -c <GRN>' will work
> > because we already have a
> > different uts/common/fs/zfs/*.c from ^/vendor-sys/opensolaris.
> >
> > I think we either need to just call Illumos OpenSolaris for these
> > purposes, or 'svn move opensolaris illumos'.
> >
> > I think this needs to be discussed with the Repo Meisters.
>
> I actually agree with Doug here, but not strongly, I'd prefer to be
> better educated about this topic.  Do our Repo Meisters
> read arch@?

Doing a copy we preserve the opensolaris branch information,
doing a rename we can always branch a new opensolaris again
from a specific revision if we want to.

FWIW, I think it's actually the same to do a copy or a rename,
but I guess I can be re-educated too.

The "svn copy" was already done though so I wonder if
reworking it is really necessary.

Pedro.