RFC: MK_BLOBS build option

Xin Li delphij at delphij.net
Wed Jan 25 18:54:24 UTC 2012

Hi, Robert,

On 01/23/12 14:17, Robert Millan wrote:
> El 23 de gener de 2012 19:57, Xin Li <delphij at delphij.net> ha
> escrit:
>> Please note that it's still possible to compile these into kernel
>> if they present in the kernel compile configuration (for
>> instance, device hptmv), which sounds a little bit non-intuitive
>> to me.  Maybe we should create three include file (BLOBS,
>> BLOBS_HOST, BLOBS_UCODE perhaps) that lists these modules as
>> 'nodevice <device name>' in the same time, so they can be
>> included from a kernel configuration file at the end?
>
> Sounds useful, but I'm not sure how would one implement this so
> that it is maintainable and doesn't break.
>
> First when you create a file to disable ucode-blobs, you have to
> enumerate the drivers again, creating redundancy (which usually
> leads to bitrot).
>
> Then when you create a file that disables both ucode-blobs and
> host-blobs, you either enumerate the drivers over again, adding a
> second level of redundancy, or have to use "include" directive.
> But you can't just include both ucode-blob and host-blob files
> because they both include GENERIC, and then GENERIC would be
> included twice, right?
>
> The idea sounds great (in my case it'd allow me to reduce our delta
> a bit further), but in practice I'm not sure this can work.

I meant this, basically we have:

GENERIC -- default kernel in FreeBSD
SOURCELESS_EXCLUDES -- a meta-'overlay' that contains 'include
SOURCELESS_HOST_EXCLUDES' and 'include SOURCELESS_UCODE_EXCLUDES'
SOURCELESS_HOST_EXCLUDES -- a 'overlay' that contains a few 'nodevice
<devname>'s
SOURCELESS_UCODE_EXCLUDES -- ditto

This way, e.g. GENERIC-DEBIAN would be simply:

include GENERIC
include SOURCELESS_EXCLUDES

This way would minimize the maintenance of the GENERIC-DEBIAN I think
while not compromising your policy of not including these stuff in binary?

Cheers,
- --
Xin LI <delphij at delphij.net>	https://www.delphij.net/
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!		Live free or die