Extending sys/dev/mii

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Jan 21 01:45:18 UTC 2012

On Jan 20, 2012, at 5:08 PM, Stefan Bethke wrote:
> The second problem is that there's currently no way to express a dependency between two devices other than a parent-child relationship.   I would be interested to learn why this appears to be so uncommon that I could not find any discussion of such a feature.  Has it really never before come up?

Sure there is: you can do it by name.  I wrote a driver that attached to the ISA bus, but also needed to talk to the ppbus that was attached to the printer.  My solution was to have a post-attach name-lookup so that it could then call methods on the other driver's device_t.  I wonder why we can't do that here?

Warner